Position Title: Peer Mentor
The Peer Mentor Program essentially serves as a retention improver. The program is a free resource available to the students of Laurus College to help ensure the students’ academic challenges and needs are met through direct one on one tutoring services or by referral to the appropriate department within Laurus College. It is the mission of the Peer Mentor Program to provide quality support services and to help ensure the academic success of each student who passes through the program.
Roles & Responsibilities:
Peer mentors will work to provide a welcoming environment that is conducive to students needs and supports student success. As a peer mentor you are providing an example to the students by your actions in and outside the classroom. When you are working with a student, it is your first priority to help create an inclusive and supportive learning environment. In addition, you are expected to perform your job duties to the best of your abilities and to ask for help when needed.
- Must have a desire to work with students
- Must be in good academic standing with a minimum 3.5 GPA
- Preference will be given to students with good grades and who are 1/3 into their program
- Must be a TEAM player
- Organized & Efficient
- Writing & Communication Skills a must
- Tech Savvy a PLUS
Job Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Provide academic support through building rapport and maintaining a peer mentor relationship with assigned students
- Refer students to appropriate school departments and share info on other available resources
- Inform Program Coordinator immediately of students who appear to be exhibiting behaviors that are counterproductive to academic success, for example, sadness, angry or despondent, obsessive worrying, not attending class, thinking about dropping a class or withdrawing from Laurus, substance abuse, threats to self or others
- Document ALL interactions & tutoring sessions with students
- Participate in Orientation, Graduation, & ALL other school coordinated events as requested
- Maintain confidentiality and adhere to FERPA policy
- E-filing, email, data entry, phone answering and light photocopying
Company Overview & Description:
Laurus College strives to make our learning environment a place where caring and excellence thrives and provides a comprehensive training approach which enables students to apply what they have learned in the classroom to real life situations. We are a career college that is a wholly owned subsidiary of QE2 Systems Inc., developed to offer a quality education and a quality experience for students seeking a unique college experience.
- Serious candidates only
- Attach all documents in either Word or PDF format
- Please include a cover letter, and a resume in your email
- No phone calls please; please note, meeting the basic requirements of the job posting does not guarantee an interview. Thank you for your interest in career opportunities with Laurus College!
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org